Monday, June 8, 2015



Blindness: A Unique Perspective

As I began to read, I wondered if I would make it to the end.  There were many things that were just too familiar about this book.  It had a lot in common with both of Brian Selznick's books, The Invention of Hugo Cabret and Wonderstruck.  Also, I have read a least ten young adult books about Nazi Germany, The Holocaust, and everything in between.  Yet, something made me keep reading and I think it was that both protagonists had unique perspectives.  They both had a voice that I hadn't heard before.  

When was the german youth supposed to rebel against the Hitler Youth.  With friends dying each day in front of them for not supporting the movement, at what moment could a 12 year old say, "Enough is enough."  When do we say this as adults? We don't.  We let bad things continue on no matter how many are effected, just so our place in society doesn't get upset.  

I've been listening to Ken Follett's World Without End and I just can't believe the pompousness of male monks in the Middle Ages.  I mean, let's suppose that Follett has characterized the sexist behavior correctly, but come on.  I mean, we still put people in positions of power who than believe themselves to be guided by some omniscient deity who will forgive all if only we honor him.  How can we repeatedly make so many awful decisions.  The FIFA fiasco is currently going on.  Men of power??? What can be said beside angry tirades.  These leaders think they are better than us.  They think that their wisdom leads to better decisions.  They do whatever they can to usurp democracy to become elected.  They will save the world if only they come into power.  This is the most often created personality in our world.  Our system shoots out people like this.  And it also shoots out people like Werner.  Boys who can either choose death or watching these megalomaniacs continue on to amassing as much power as they can.

Jeez!

Enough is enough!

How about a, "Megalomaniac Mirror Day" or something.  We could all take mirrors to work and give them to our particular megalomaniac.

Any takers?


No comments: