Tuesday, May 15, 2012


The Future ...


Sorry, I just had Sarah Connors' voice in my head the whole time I read this.  It was very much a redo of the Terminator.  A computer gains consiousness and you know the rest.  That didn't make it any less good, but it did beg the question in my mind of where science fiction is going and why there is so little science fiction on the Young Adult market.  Science fiction has been done.  It's hard to get a new spin on topics that we have been writing about for thirty years.  We need New Science.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline is selling like mad, so there must still be a market, but what happened to the mass production of the sixties and seventies.  Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Phillip Dick? Remember those guys? I've read at least thirty Heinlein science fiction stories and Asimov might have published even more.  Did those pioneers of the genre write everything that can possibly be written.  I mean Tunnel in the Sky came out a long time before all the Stargate stuff.  They are redoing a whole bunch of stuff on television and at the theatre: Star Trek, Total Recall and Battlestar Galactica.  Are we forever going to be caught in a vicious remake cycle?

Firefly was novel, but it didn't seem to get a large enough following to continue on.  I'm surprised that a gun slinging space cowboy couldn't continue on for more seasons.  What are all the Trekkies of this generation going to do? 

I guess it is time to remake all the Heinlein and Asimov, maybe we can stir the science fiction bug in some of our young adults that way.


No comments: