Friday, May 11, 2012


I've been waiting for the 'Selznick Phenomenon' to take over, but am still waiting.  As a storyteller I was hooked on Selznick's work right from the start and wondered who else was going to copy the style.  Why is it that he is the only author/illustrator who has gone down this path? Why isn't the market being flooded with illustrated novels? Graphic novels are a huge part of the market, why not illustrated novels?

One of my students says that it kind of pigeonholes the imagination to have the drawings.  


I guess that has a bit of truth to it, but a picture like the one above certainly stirs the imagination as well.

Are there no author/illustrators tackling the same format? I find that somewhat hard to believe.  Are publishers just not publishing the other attempts? Wouldn't someone have tried at least one? I can't figure it out, but it looks like we may have to wait for Selznick's next attempt before we get our next illustrated novel.  

No comments: