Tuesday, May 8, 2012


A rose my any other name would smell as sweet ...

Was it just the fact that someone named Morgenstern wrote this book that made it magical.  I think some unconscious part of me was waiting for true love and miracles because of that.  Expecting those sorts of things might be the best way to read a book.  Whether Erin is a long lost cousin twice removed or a complete stranger to S. Morgenstern doesn't matter.  The added layer of magic made a brilliant story one stroke better.  

Of course this isn't the long lost original of the The Princess Bride that the other Morgenstern claims exists, but no one has yet to find.  But my mind at least had the thought that it might be which is the more important bit.  What all the forms of magic add up to in The Princess Bride is that that story can cure sick boys.  Erin Morgenstern's novel, I believe, might have the same panacean properties.

The number of characters and threads were many and I must admit that somewhere near the middle I lost track of a thread and a character or two, but the fabric of the book stayed strong throughout.  The miracle of the story never faltered.  Whether it was the circus, the performers, the illusions or the romance, Morgenstern created a tangible illusion as grand as those of her two main characters. 

No comments: